Friday, January 30, 2015

Opening post

Welcome to Dronespotting. Here I will share my experiences building flying (and occasionally repairing) Drones, Multirotors, Quadcopters, etc. I used to fly Radio Controlled aircraft (never as much As I would have liked), but with the way that the technology has made these easier to fly and easier to afford, now many more can get into this fascinating and rewarding hobby.
I am also a Photographer so I will touch on the aspects of the ability of these craft to take pictures and video to an extent. I am not an authority on them, and I welcome constructive input for the betterment and enjoyment of all. If you have feedback, even aspects that have a different point of view, you are still welcome to comment. All is ask is that you keep it clean and respectful. Hopefully we can all learn and benefit.

My first post to Youtube.  I reviewed the Syma X5C-1 and the Walkera QR W100S
in a sort of showdown.

I should mention that the Walkera (on the right) does NOT come with a tablet nor smartphone nor transmitter. the phone and tablet it DOES work with and transmitter (Walkera DEVO4)

 
A very short example of the Syma video quality.

The video shown above does not do justice to the video as it plays on my computer. It is from the Syma and plays pretty smooth at a basic but clear resolution. For the price of the drone, I was very pleased with the results. I will upload a video from the Walkera soon. I have to take more since the quality was so awful and laggy that I deleted them. Still pictures from both units are similar to the video. Now bear in mind that the Walkera QR W100S takes stills and video by transmitting to your smartphone or tablet so transmission delays can be a factor. The idea of using the Walkera for an FPV (First Person View) flight is impossible. Controlling it through the smartphone or tablet is extremely difficult. Your fingers block much of your view and since you are just sliding them on glass, you have no feel for where the controls are centered. If you get the Walkera QR W100S, please order the standard transmitter at the same time. You can have someone start and stop the recording as well at take the pictures through the smartphone or tablet while you concentrate on flying.

The Syma X5C-1 in a different unit when it comes to camera use. The trim button for the throttle control is what you use to start and stop video recording and to take single pictures. The camera saves the pictures and video to an SD memory card. It says it is 720 HD quality video. It doesn't look that good to me but it is loads better than the 'realtime' camera on the Walkera QR W100S.

Both fly well indoors and out. The Syma seems to hover much better. it's a very docile and predictable flier and the included bumpers give you some protection while learning. It also has a stunt button that makes it do a flip. Both units are good but be especially careful in winds of any sort.  My Syma caught a stronger wind and ended up tree hugging. It's still up there, way too high to retrieve or knock down. The one thing I must also say about the Syma is that it seems to have a short range. there are a few hacks listed on Youtube. I do not suggest them but since I am getting a new transmitter with the new Syma I ordered, I decided to try the range hack on the transmitter. When i get it, I'll let you know the results.

Structure wise, they are also different. The Syma makes it light and simple. Uses a slightly smaller battery (600 Mah, VS the 700Mah of the Walkera) but the Syma has a thicker stiffer plastic body. The Walkera is very thin plastic. The battery cover on the Walkera is very thin and soft. The Syma is solid top and bottom body shells. The Walkera has an upper, middle frame and bottom plastic body shells. It also has removable engine pods. The whole engine, gears and prop pulls off easily for instant repairs in the field (assuming you bought the spares) In the crashes mine has had, only once did the pod come off where it is supposed to. there is some glue holding things together right now.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI_TXE8XpZo
In the above Youtube video, the Walkera decided to not bind to the controller so I could not show you it flying. it does scoot around quite well. 



I am composing a beginners guide to drones. It will be a series of tips and suggestions. I will generally try to avoid and brand or model preference, but from the units I have tried and seen tested. I am suggesting the Syma X5C-1 as a good choice for a first drone. It's manners on the ground and in the air made it a pleasure to fly
 I will welcome input for revisions to make it a useful guide for as many people as possible. Again, if you disagree with something in the guide or what I blog about, that's fine. Tell me and if need be, I will update or revise. If you just come to name call or troll, you will be deleted/ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean. you are welcome to comment, Add and even post a different point of view.