Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Ordering from 'out of country'

Here is something I would suggest you keep an eye on.
Shipping and Handling fees
Some companies offer better prices on the items in question. But this savings is to be watched. I give you this example. I ordered a few parts from China (different distributors. one actually has the parts in Holland). and so far every one has charged little shipping and NO handling fee. a part that is $6.00 is delivered for less than $2 postage. A quad came in with a little over $5.00 shipping fee. So i look at ordering a part from the states, list price $11.00 (the price from China is $32.00 and under $3.00 shipping) but that $11.00 part from just a short truck drive away is over $57.00 shipping and handling. With all fees added, that $11.00 part was going to cost me over $70.00 to have in my hands. The same part from China, barely over $35.00.
Now granted, the parts from the states usually arrive in a 3 to 10 days. and the parts from China take 7-21 days. so if you absolutely HAVE to get that item here right away, and money is no object, by all means. As for me, I'll wait a bit longer rather than incur a cripplingly high markup.

It is my suspicion that they are offsetting the price with those 'handling' fees. I am sure you have seen TV ads for various items. They say "If you act now, we will include a second (whatever the product is) for FREE!!!!!, just pay separate shipping and HANDLING"

I am not saying everyone is doing this, just saying BE AWARE.

as with any online purchase, print out receipts, confirmation of payment Shipping notices, etc. and hold onto them. I know of some places that say free shipping...then you get the collect shipping fee upon delivery. Sometimes there may be customs & brokerage charges. That's different. That's 'free trade'.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean. you are welcome to comment, Add and even post a different point of view.